Your upfront cost: $0
- 19 Jul 2021
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Possess a knowledge of the law as it applies to the regulatory framework, types of companies, the company's relations with outsiders, including its role as a corporate citizen, directors duties, ethics and liabilities, statutory remedies, and corporate insolvency;
- Apply your legal knowledge to complex factual situations in order to achieve a reasoned conclusion through oral and written communication. The application of case law and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) involves the use of problem solving and decision making skills, in particular the ability to identify the relevant legal issues from a factual situation; and
- Analyse and evaluate case law relevant to the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) through oral and written communication.
- Regulatory Framework
- Company Formation
- Internal and External Relationships
- Members and Shares
- Directors: Definition of directors and company secretary; the board of directors and its powers; appointment, remuneration, removal, and disqualification of directors.
- Directors' Duties 1: Sections 181, 182, 183 of the Corporations Act; Duties with respect to conflicts of interest
- Directors' Duties 2: Duty to act with care and diligence; Duty to prevent insolvent trading
- Remedies for breach of directors' duties; oppressive and unfair conduct; statutory derivative action, statutory injunctions; compulsory winding up
- Corporate insolvency introduction; Liquidation and voidable transactions
- Receivership; Voluntary Administration, Deed of Company Arrangement
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
Using the life cycle of a company the operation of the Australian corporate regulatory framework is illustrated. Thus the course examines: company registration; corporate governance issues arising from the company's daily operations, and the external administration of a company on its insolvency.
Prerequisite: AFE215 Introduction to Business Law
- Workbook submission (15%)
- Mid-Exam (35%)
- Final Exam (50%)
Current study term: 18 Jul 21 to 15 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.