User Experience Design
Get to know your user, and understand how their needs should shape their online experience. User experience (UX) design is a valued skill that draws on a varied toolbox, include testing, iterating and collaborating, to deliver enhanced experiences.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- evaluate the UX design effectiveness of physical and digital products/platforms
- implement a Design Thinking methodology to solving problems through industry-standard UX prototypes
- conduct user testing to synthesize insights for UX design optimization
- evaluate ethical and accessible design considerations for a diversity of users
- communicate effectively and persuasively to audiences in a culturally appropriate and professional manner
- Introduction to User Experience (UX)
- Design Thinking
- Understanding Users
- Colour, contrast, and texture
- Composition and alignment
- Designing for optimization
- Iteration and prototyping
- Lines, shapes, and motion
- Text and typography
- Customer experience (CX)
- Communicating design ideas
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
User Experience (UX) is where research and design are applied to create interactions with products, platforms, and services that users love. UX focuses on developing a deep understanding of users, what they need, what they value, their abilities, and also their limitations. This is crucial in both the physical and digital world, and key to designing solutions in the context of the UN SDGs. These UXs are evaluated through needs, values, emotions, and attitudes towards products, systems or services in human-brand interactions, with an emphasis on ethical considerations for a diversity of users. Crucially, students learn to optimize UXs for Accessible (Universal) Design to adhere to important Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME) in accordance with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Through various Authentic Assessments you will develop skills that are critical in marketing and business. These skills have broader applicability to the fields of graphic design, web and app development, SEO, product or project management, and promotional techniques such as advertising, or content marketing.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Heuristic Evaluation (30%)
- UX Concept Development and Pitch (40%)
- Online School Invigilated Final examination (30%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.