Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Methodologies
Gain an overview of the approaches and methods used in teaching English to non-native speakers. Develop classroom techniques that address the needs of culturally diverse students to improve your teaching practices and detailed lesson planning.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 01 Jun 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- evaluate lesson materials in terms of suitability for English language learners, considering cultural and linguistic differences and similarities
- review second language learning theories related to language teaching approaches
- develop a learning environment which maximises the learning potential of language learners through integrating content knowledge and language skills
- identify the principles behind the various teaching approaches and incorporate these principles into lesson design.
- TESOL: principles and terminology
- Class interaction & individual differences
- SLA theories underpinning language teaching
- Historical overview of TESOL methods
- Communicative language teaching (CLT)
- Task-based language teaching (TBLT)
- Content-based instruction & CILL
- Lesson planning techniques
- Teaching reading
- Teaching writing
- Teaching listening & speaking
- Teaching grammar & vocabulary
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No special requirements
This subject includes a basic overview of approaches, methods, and techniques used in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL). It focuses on developing successful classroom practices that address the learning needs and interests of culturally diverse and language minority students. Students in this subject will have the opportunity to apply what has been discussed in the workshops to hands-on teaching practices and detailed lesson planning.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (50%)
- Materials Development (50%)
Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching, 3rd ed.
Diane Larsen-Freeman and Marti Anderson