Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Professional Experience 4: Transition into the Profession
Advance from sitting in front of the teacher’s desk to working behind it. Determine the challenges you‘ll face as you transition into your education career. Put your knowledge into practice as you set out on a five-week professional placement.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
- 02 Mar 2020
- 01 Jun 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- design a personal professional plan to support continued professional learning and growth that incorporates maintaining a positive teacher identity and professional resilience; and is underpinned by research, the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, and other related professional frameworks
- demonstrate achievement of the Graduate Standards for Teachers through successfully completing a five week full time block professional experience placement
- develop evidence of teaching capability from the practical elements of the professional experience being undertaken in the school setting, for the purposes of completing the teaching performance assessment.
- Transitioning into the profession: what matters? Teacher identity and the professional portfolio
- Social and emotional well-being
- Planning for student learning: long term goals and implementation strategies
- Engaging parents and carers in the education process
- Resourcing professional growth: educational research, networks and associations
- Leadership in educational settings
- Reflective and collaborative structures and processes
- Planning your professional learning. Preparing for your placement
- Professional Experience Placement
- Review and Reflection
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-MTC503-Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
- CUR-MTPS503-Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- PlacementDetails - The fieldwork for this unit includes a 25-day professional experience placement in an advised education setting. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block at the specified time.
- OtherDetails -
Working with Children check
This subject was previously known as MTPS505 Professional Experience 4: Transition into the Profession.
This final subject in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component. This subject provides students with the opportunity to exercise the professional skills, knowledge and attitudes in a school setting that demonstrate their classroom readiness. During the five week full time block professional experience placement, students will be required to demonstrate meeting the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the Graduate Career stage. This is done through a practical and a theoretical assessment. Both the practical and theoretical assessments must be undertaken together and passed in order to pass the unit. The professional experience practical assessment requires successful completion of the professional experience placement. The theoretical assessment is a teaching performance assessment. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional Plan (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (50%)
- Teaching Performance Assessment (Pass/Fail%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbooks are not required.