Occupational Hygiene and Chemical Safety
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- incorporate theoretical and practical approaches to anticipate, recognise and assess hazards to worker health and manage them in line with best practice
- apply scientific methods of investigation to the evaluation of workplace risks in occupational health and safety
- analyse critical approaches to the characterisation of exposures through contemporary sampling strategies and methods
- develop key elements in programs for managing the health and safety issues in processes which involve the use of hazardous materials
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
This subject will develop students’ theoretical and practical understanding of the recognition, evaluation and management of occupational hygiene and related safety hazards. Workplace contaminants and stressors and their evaluation: gases, vapours, dusts, heat and noise will form the focal points for investigation and analysis. This subject further covers preliminary survey, selection of instruments and analytical methods; a field survey: interpretation and use of results as well as instrumentation and techniques. Other areas of this subject include application of monitoring, control strategies, statistics, material safety data sheets and strategy of safety design. Relevant legislative requirements are reviewed in this subject.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
- Scientific Report (25%)
- Report (40%)
- Report and Presentation (35%)