Numeracy for 5 to 8 Year-Olds
Leverage an in-depth understanding of the Australian curriculum to devise a mathematics program suitable for children aged five to eight years. Divide your attention across an array of mathematic concepts, including geometry, measurement and algebra.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Aug 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the mathematics curriculum and principles associated with effective teaching in the early years
- analyse and interpret mathematical data from a case study; make judgements on mathematical understanding
- create written feedback on student mathematical learning for children and parents
- plan a mathematics program for 5 to 8 year-olds, based on the Australian curriculum (and/or local curriculum documents) by selecting appropriate content, assessment items, teaching strategies and resources.
- Curriculum documents related to mathematics; Australian Curriculum and local curriculum documents, First Steps
- Number & Algebra; teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources. Focus on number and place value and patterns and algebra
- Number & Algebra; Teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources. Focus on fractions, decimals and money
- Number & Algebra; Teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources. Focus on multiplication
- Geometry. Teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources
- Measurement. Teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources
- Probability and statistics. Teaching strategies including use of multi-media, assessment and resources
- Problem solving; using manipulatives to develop children's critical and creative thinking
- Focussed planning and play based strategies for mathematical learning
- Moderating and reporting in mathematics
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, Access to video creation and editing software
This subject will prepare pre-service teachers to plan, assess and deliver rigorous mathematical learning programs for children aged five to eight. A major focus of the subject is on developing knowledge of curriculum documents and mathematics concepts in number, algebra, geometry, measurement, and statistics and probability.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (50%)
- Report (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.