Interior Design Studio 5- Structure
Analyse structures and identify how they fit into design situations. Focus on walls, joins and connections. Participate in furniture workshops. Experiment with model making and technology to test structural principles like compression and tension.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
- 30 May 2022
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply basic structural principles of compression and tension
- analyse and test structural elements, material, economy, sustainability and construction through design processes of modelling, diagramming and drawing
- critique and negotiate temporal, physical and cultural conditions of site, in particular developing an understanding of Indigenous perspectives of this inter-relatedness
- formulate a design proposition through synthesising and reflecting on a range of resources including readings and site investigations
- communicate the complexities of structure and site using appropriate oral and visual strategies.
- Typology of a Wall
- Expression of Structure
- Joins and Connections
- Expression of Form
- Communicating your Ideas
- Precedents to Inspire
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-BIA210-Interior Design Studio 4 - Residential (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- Other requirements -
Access to hardware: webcam, speakers and microphone
This subject was previously known as Interior Architecture Expressive Structures Studio.
This studio unit considers a multi-disciplinary approach to the relationship between structure and meaning, and secondly, the concept of site: physical/cultural/poetic. Through processes of drawing, diagramming and model making, students test and experiment with the nature of physical structures to gain an understanding of basic structural principles. In relation to social structure, the studio program will provide students with an understanding of the relationship between indigenous people's connection to country, community, culture and wellbeing The studio introduces an experience of place and time, thinking about designing with an awareness of temporality: past, present and future. Students will undertake site visits, diagramming, the examination of precedents and work strategically and collaboratively in groups.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Site Investigation Presentation (30%)
- Design Proposition Presentation (20%)
- Final Design Project Presentation (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Textbooks are not required.
Next study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Applied Science Interior Architecture
- Level Four Subjects
- Level Four Subjects - Honours Stream