Early Literacies and Play-Based Pedagogies
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Nov 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse early literacy theories and perspectives
- examine the relationship between home literacy practices and early literacy learning
- demonstrate how documentation of children's literacy learning informs planning
- design differentiated inquiry focussed, play based literacy experiences
- Module 1: Play-based pedagogies
- Module 2: Knowledge and practice of early literacies
- Module 3: Teacher as literacy researcher
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
This subject examines early literacy theories and perspectives, with an emphasis on play-based pedagogies, research approaches and documentation of young children’s literacy learning. Students will develop understandings of the experiences and perspectives of families and the relationship between home literacy practices and early literacy learning. These understandings will inform the design of literacy rich environments, incorporating play-based learning and intentional teaching.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report on investigation of children's engagement in early literacy practices (50%)
- Design and document a range of early literacy learning and play experiences (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).