Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: English
Learn how to teach English in upper secondary levels. Develop skills to last through your career - from planning to assessment strategies and report writing. Gain what’s needed to have a positive impact on students.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Senior Secondary English
- analyse assessment data to provide feedback and inform learning and teaching in Senior Secondary English
- examine robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Senior Secondary English to educational stakeholders
- draw on contemporary research-based knowledge, evidence-based practices and understanding of Senior Secondary English curriculum to create learning plans to meet diverse needs of students.
- develop assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Senior Secondary English.
- Exploring all Senior School English Courses
- English and graduation attainment
- Senior Secondary English and struggling learners
- English assessment: Design, delivery and feedback; Moderation, feedback and reporting
- Literature and literary studies courses
- English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD) courses
- High-stakes university entry examination preparation
- School-based curriculum planning
- Senior School text production
- Professional development and finding work as an English teacher
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as: Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: English
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Senior Secondary English curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Senior Secondary English. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Senior Secondary Presentation (50%)
- Assessment Portfolio (50%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.