Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: English
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Senior Secondary English
- analyse assessment data to provide feedback and inform learning and teaching in Senior Secondary English
- examine robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Senior Secondary English to educational stakeholders
- draw on contemporary research-based knowledge, evidence-based practices and understanding of Senior Secondary English curriculum to create learning plans to meet diverse needs of students
- develop assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Senior Secondary English.
- Whole course overview; exploring all Upper School English Courses
- Exploring all Upper School Literature Courses
- Assessment, types, design and feedback
- Catering for Diverse learners in Year 11 & 12
- Assessment, moderation and exams
- Novel study; point of view
- Expository texts; everyday texts
- Viewing in the English Course – Stills, Feature Film and Documentary
- Drama in the English course
- Poetry in the English course
- Writing in the English course
- Creative writing; every day texts; multimodal, digital/online and hybrid texts; context, audience and purpose
- WACE exam revision techniques
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Upper Secondary English curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Upper Secondary English. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Upper School Student Presentation (50%)
- Assessment Portfolio (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts (Visual Arts) Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education