Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: The Arts
Get prepared to teach the arts in lower secondary school. Draw on your artistic instruction skills to create a positive learning impact. Get critical and reflect on local, national and international research. Assess the merit of resources and technologies.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- examine local, national and global research and evidence-based practices in The Arts in Lower Secondary
- apply teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development in this major teaching area
- evaluate a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform The Arts Lower Secondary learning and teaching programs
- incorporate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to devise differentiated learning and teaching experiences that support and challenge all students in The Arts in Lower Secondary
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan learning and teaching experiences with demonstrated impact in The Arts in Lower Secondary.
- Unit Introduction/Assessments; WA Curriculum overview/Arts learning area; general capabilities; cross curriculum priorities
- Framing the arts teacher identity; lesson planning; microteaching preparation/demonstration
- Cognition in the Arts; mapping the learning journey across phases of schooling
- Evolving concepts of good teaching; programming principles: discrete disciplinary, transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches
- WA National Curriculum (Arts): arts making thread/strands; visual arts, media arts, drama mapping to previous arts outcomes/aspects (art ideas; art skills); visual diaries/journals
- WA National Curriculum (Arts): arts responding thread/strands; visual arts, media arts, drama mapping to arts outcome/aspects (arts responses; arts in society); critical response frameworks
- Devising task briefs, Part A: writing conventions; discipline specific considerations
- Devising task briefs, Part B: writing conventions; discipline specific considerations
- Assessment principles; assessment criteria
- Assessment processes; writing rubrics; marking keys
- Making judgements; source of evidence; moderation
- Making judgements; sources of evidence; grade allocations; unit review
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as EDS111 Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: The Arts.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach The Arts curriculum in Lower Secondary school. The subject will focus on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to The Arts in Lower Secondary Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (50%)
- Portfolio (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts (Visual Arts) Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education