Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences
Study curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, and how to have a positive impact on student learning. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are also explored.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- examine local, national and global research and evidence-based practices in Humanities and Social Sciences in Lower Secondary
- apply teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development in this major teaching area
- evaluate a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform Humanities and Social Sciences Lower Secondary learning and teaching programs
- incorporate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to devise differentiated learning and teaching experiences that support and challenge all students in Humanities and Social Sciences in Lower Secondary
- employ discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan learning and teaching experiences with demonstrated impact in Humanities and Social Sciences in Lower Secondary.
- Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) in the Australian Curriculum
- Teaching through Critical Inquiry
- Planning for HASS : lesson design
- Planning for HASS: strategies and resourcing
- Assessment strategies for HASS
- How to integrate the HASS learning areas: history & historical inquiry
- How to integrate the HASS learning areas: geography & geographical thinking
- Developing language, literacy and numeracy in HASS
- ICT and HASS
- Cross-curricular priorities and HASS
- Developing values and ethical understanding for active and informed citizenship
- Developing values and ethical understanding for active and informed citizenship: planning
- Review and Reflection
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- CUR-EDS131-Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: HASSedc (No longer available)
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as EDS131 Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service Lower Secondary Humanities and Social Sciences teachers. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Lower Secondary Humanities and Social Sciences. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (50%)
- Report (50%)
Current study term: 29 May 22 to 28 Aug 22
Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences: Teaching and Learning Across Australia
Gilbert, R., et al.
Next study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.