Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: English
Explore teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort. Focus on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, and having a positive impact on student learning
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- establish critical and reflective practice in Lower Secondary English based on local, national and international research
- evaluate teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development
- appraise a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform Lower Secondary English teaching programs
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in Lower Secondary English
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan, deliver and evaluate teaching and learning experiences with demonstrated impact in Lower Secondary English.
- Exploring the role of the English teacher - Exploring the 7-10 Lower Secondary English curriculum
- Teaching reading (expository texts) - Examining critical literacy, Differentiation, Critically examining resources & Planning lessons
- Teaching reading (fiction) - Examining critical literacy, Differentiation, Critically examining resources & Planning lessons
- Teaching viewing - Examining critical literacy, Differentiation, Critically examining resources & Planning lessons
- Teaching writing
- Teaching creative writing - Examining critical literacy, Differentiation, Critically examining resources & Planning lessons
- Examining formative assessments in Lower School English
- Examining summative assessments in Lower School English
- Digital Technologies
- Program development in Lower Secondary English - Classroom considerations
- Program development in Lower Secondary English - School and system considerations
- Program development in Lower Secondary English - Exploring Professional Associations
- Review and Reflection - Exploring Professional Associations & Unit reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service Lower Secondary English teachers. Focus will be on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Lower Secondary English. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Student Literature Website (50%)
- Planning Portfolio (50%)
Textbook information is pending.