- Schools, policy and neo-liberal reform
- Accountability & performativity
- Markets & school choice
- Competition & reforming school practices
- Educational experiences (3): cultural diversity and Indigenous learners; reforming parents and inequality
- Power and governing through schools
- Governing through our knowledge
- Normalisation of gendered practices
- Class & differentiating achievement
- Cultural diversity
- Thinking about change
- Standard Media
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject examines a number of social, political, cultural and economic relations of Australian society and their impact on education policy, classroom practices and student learning. The subject provides students with concepts and perspectives to think about schooling and society. Students examine the characteristics of education systems and learning settings that promote inclusivity, celebrate diversity and reduce the effects of disadvantage, inequality and social exclusion. The subject aligns with the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers associated with student diversity, including consideration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in secondary schools.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Investigation into a recent educational reform (50%)
- An essay examining an education issue (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts (Visual Arts) Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education