Creative and Media Arts in Early Childhood
Create arts education programs that will enthral and engage early childhood learners. Plan out lessons and activities. Put play-based learning strategies to the test. Mix your focus across arts disciplines like dance, music and visual arts.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply understanding of the discipline, the Early Years Learning Framework and the Australian Curriculum to evaluating, planning and resourcing of authentic arts education
- demonstrate a competent standard of arts literacy sufficient to implement authentic, inquiry and play-based learning experiences for young children across the arts subjects
- create an inquiry-based sequence of lessons in accordance with the Australian Curriculum: The Arts principles and content that presents challenging and authentic learning opportunities for a nominated age group
- design and implement a developmentally appropriate play-based arts learning experience with a child that involves safe and ethical practices, and reflects authentic arts learning principles
- evaluate a child's learning based on the cyclic process of observation, assessment and responsive planning using a learning story model of documentation
- Nature and function of arts experiences in early childhood education
- Belonging: How children tell their stories through arts making and responding experiences
- Being: How children explore their world through the arts
- Becoming: How children imagine their future selves through the arts
- Curriculum planning through a learning advancement cycle
- Monitoring, documenting and assessing learning
- Arts pedagogies to develop diverse children’s agency as individual learners: purposeful play and intentional teaching; dialogues for learning; stewardship of a safe, ethical and engaging learning environment
- Partnerships and lifelong learning strategies for effective educators.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- Other requirements -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, Access to video creation and editing software
This subject prepares Early Childhood Educators to design and implement authentic arts education programs in Early Childhood Education and Care settings. Play-based learning principles will be applied to this design process and experiences will be developmentally appropriate. An inquiry approach that encompasses the development of Arts Literacies across the Creative and Media Arts curriculum is taken.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Portfolio of arts teaching content and resourcing and planning (60%)
- Report on child learning (40%)