Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 May 2023
- 27 Nov 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply appropriate sources of information in cost planning
- explain and test appropriate techniques to manipulate data in assessing the cost of buildings
- evaluate the cost and/or benefit of various building designs and components
- assess future building costs by manipulating historic cost data.
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Design Economics (Time Cost and Quality)
- Design Economics (Physical Design Criteria)
- Cost Planning Techniques
- Elemental Estimating - Components
- Elemental Estimating - Elemental Cost Analyses
- Elemental Estimating - Developing the Elemental Cost Plan
- Elemental Estimating - Manipulating and Interpreting the Data
- Exercises in Elemental Estimating
- Approximate Quantities
- Stages in Cost Planning
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- CUR-CME105-Introduction to Measurement of Construction Works (No longer available)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in the area, eg from completing all Level 1 subjects or relevant experience.
No additional requirements
This subject introduces the process of cost planning in the building industry including investigation of the various techniques used and sources of information. Students will explore the processes of design economics, cost benefit analysis and elemental cost analysis.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case study 1 (50%)
- Case Study 2 (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).