Build a solid understanding of the legal landscape and laws affecting construction projects in Australia. Study ways to negotiate and manage contracts and get tips from industry case studies. Learn techniques to identify risks and resolve disputes.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2019
Subjects may require attendance
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the Australian legal system with particular reference to the construction industry
- apply concepts of the law of contract and tort to construction industry case studies
- evaluate alternative legal dispute resolution options on construction projects.
- Introduction, Terminology and Legal Searches
- Australian Law
- Misrepresentation, Mistake, Undue Influence & Duress
- Termination and Remedies of Contract
- Negligence and Nuisance
- Property Law
- Tenders and Dispute Resolution
- Acts Relating to Construction
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
An introduction to sources of law affecting building projects including the judicial system, common law and statute law, contract law and torts and dispute resolution.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Group Case Study (35%)
- Invigilated Exam (45%)
- Report (20%)
Bachelor of Applied Science Construction Management
- Level 1 Open Subjects
- Level 2 Subjects
- Level 3 Subjects
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours