Construct your building services career. Design, install and maintain functional and comfortable living and workplaces. Compare types of building services from lighting to water supply. Survey service installation costs and consider energy efficiency.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and compare different types of services used in buildings
- evaluate the ability of different types of service to meet expected user requirements for comfort levels
- analyse the technical, time and cost implications of installing and coordinating services in buildings.
- Fire Prevention and Control Services
- Heating, Ventilation, Air-conditioning System
- Water Supply, Distribution and Waste Systems
- Electrical Supply and Installation
- Natural Lighting / Artificial Lighting
- Mechanical Conveyors - Lift and Escalators
- Building Services - Design Outline and Green Building
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in the area, eg from completing all Level 1 subjects or relevant experience.
No additional requirements
This subject discusses the essential role that building services play in enabling buildings to provide functional and comfortable living and working areas. Cost implications of service installations for construction projects are discussed. Students will explore the comfort and energy performance of buildings.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test (15%)
- Case study (35%)
- Individual Report (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Applied Science Construction Management
- Level 4 Subjects - Professional
- Level 4 Subjects - Honours