Construct your building services career. Design, install and maintain functional and comfortable living and workplaces. Compare types of building services from lighting to water supply. Survey service installation costs and consider energy efficiency.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 25 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify and compare different types of services used in buildings
- evaluate the ability of different types of service to meet expected user requirements for comfort levels
- analyse the technical, time and cost implications of installing and coordinating services in buildings.
- Fire Prevention and Control Services
- Heating, Ventilation, Air-conditioning System
- Water Supply, Distribution and Waste Systems
- Electrical Supply and Installation
- Natural Lighting / Artificial Lighting
- Mechanical Conveyors - Lift and Escalators
- Building Services - Design Outline and Green Building
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume a moderate level of prior knowledge in the area, eg from completing all Level 1 subjects or relevant experience.
No special requirements
This subject discusses the essential role that building services play in enabling buildings to provide functional and comfortable living and working areas. Cost implications of service installations for construction projects are discussed. Students will explore the comfort and energy performance of buildings.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Test (15%)
- Case study (35%)
- Invigilated exam (50%)
Textbook information is pending.