Undergraduate | CUR-CME408 | 2023
Building Dissertation 1
Assemble your understanding of research. Review evidence and apply reasoning. Outline structure and critical thinking for a proposal. Source and assess quantitative and qualitative data. Refer to case studies and interviews. Prepare for Dissertation 2.
- Study method
- 100% online
- 100% online
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 13 weeks
- 27 Feb 2023,
- 28 Aug 2023
HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP available
About this subject
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- develop and propose a research topic
- evaluate the existing body of knowledge
- design a research strategy informed by the literature and an understanding of research methodology.
- Introduction to the unit and overview
- Contemporary industry issues
- Critical thinking in research
- Developing a research proposal
- Literature review
- EndNote Library
- Research reasoning and design
- Quantitative vs qualitative; mixed-method approach
- Quantitative research approach and analysis
- Qualitative research approach and analysis
- Case Study and Interviews
- Preparing for the Dissertation Stage
In this subject students will explore the research process applying critical thinking in research. Students will develop a research proposal and literature review, demonstrating reasoning in research. Students will apply relevant research methods In the management and analysis of research data.
*** In order to enrol in this subject, you must have been invited and accepted into the Honours Stream of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management) degree. ***
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Topic proposal (20%)
- Literature review (40%)
- Final Proposal (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
Explore Curtin courses.
- QS Ranking 2023:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2023:
Part of a degree
To enrol in this subject you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- CUR-CME-DEG-2023 - Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management)
- CUR-FAST-DEG-2023 - Fast track your Curtin on campus study
- Equipment requirements - Audio video equipment required
- Software requirements - Software purchase required
- Other requirements - Access to the internet. Admission to degree required.
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.
Once you’ve completed this subject it can be credited towards one of the following degrees