Accident Prevention and Safety Management
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the differing perspectives and explanations of incident and disease causation, and their benefits and limitations
- analyse a high potential event and identify links between failed defences and latent failures in the management system
- identify the key elements of the functional role and context for managing OSH, including the influence of ethics, industrial relations, legislation and leadership commitment
- Identify and develop preventative OHS approaches that incorporate the business drivers of safe design, culture, systems and compliance, and worker participation
- demonstrate, through application, the principles of academic integrity, effective use of scientific evidence, and academic writing with appropriate paraphrasing and referencing for the discipline
No eligibility requirements
No special requirements
The subject aims to introduce students to practical and theoretical aspects of accident prevention and management within the broader context of Occupational Health and Safety Risk Management. The subject objectives will be discussed in three broad areas: Accident Prevention Models, Accident Investigation and Analysis, and Safety Culture.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
- eTest (30%)
- Case Study (35%)
- Presentation and Report (35%)