Master of Public Policy: Environment and Public Policy Specialisation
Influence environmental policy for a greener future
Prepare for a future in environmental roles in government, business and community. Analyse local and global environmental challenges. Understand what it takes to change policy and governance. Become a leader in environmental change.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of the study, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate deep understanding of public policy and its key challenges and issues, in Australia and globally;
- Understand processes and challenges of agenda-setting, formulation, implementation, management and evaluation of public policy;
- Reflect critically on key theoretical debates in the field of public policy including its practical application across cultural, developmental and institutional contexts;
- Demonstrate understanding of methods for policy research and analysis and identify and apply them with appropriate tools to public policy issues;
- Analyse, synthesise and communicate complex, political and institutional policy problems from multiple perspectives.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world. We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life. The degree prepares you for environmental roles in government, business and the community sector.
At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis.
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 5/7; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Diploma or international equivalent with a GPA 4/7; or
- 48 units of courses in a postgraduate program with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) General test, completed no more than 5 years before the time of application, with a minimum score of 155 for Verbal Reasoning, 155 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 in Analytical Writing and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
In line with the university's admissions policy and strategic plan, an assessment for admission may include competitively ranking applicants on the basis of specific academic achievement, English language proficiency and diversity factors.
Find more information about the Master of Public Policy at the ANU Programs and Courses.
Work and Life
A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applications must meet the ANU English Language Requirements for Admission.
Applicants with a Bachelor Degree, Bachelor degree with Honours, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline may be eligible for up to 24 units.
Environment and Public Policy, one of the Master of Public Policy specialisations, enables you to influence environmental policy from an independent perspective, with theoretical and practical tools. The new specialisation is designed to prepare professionals for environmental roles in government, business and the community sector, analyse local and global environmental challenges and opportunities, and understand key concepts in environmental policy and governance. If you want to begin building your leadership capacity as an environmental professional in the private, public or non-government sectors, this new degree specialisation is for you.
With environmental issues posing increasingly complex challenges for public policy, the knowledge and skills you acquire will be relevant and based on evidence. Biodiversity conservation, climate change, urban planning, and forest and fisheries management impact on governance issues in ways that demand specific expertise to navigate. The environmental policy context is often highly-charged and involves contested knowledge, uncertainty and risk, and the ability to balance the competing interests of stakeholders. By analysing the challenges and opportunities that environmental issues present to public policy with an interdisciplinary approach, you will consider responses that are apt for national and international systems of governance. When you graduate, you will be perfectly positioned to offer persuasive and informed analysis and advice on environmental policy.