Master of Mental Health
Establish your role as a mental health leader
Prepare for mental health leadership. Learn from academics who are still working in the field to hone your skills in mental health and psychology. Make care decisions in the community, non-government and private settings.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Southern Cross University provides high-quality online courses designed for busy people, just like you, and have been doing so for over twenty years. The university prides itself on understanding the pressures of life outside of study while nurturing each student’s ambition. It’s these values that underpin their dedication to be with you every step of your study journey—keeping you on track to reach your goals.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the end of the program, students of the Master of Mental Health can:
- Effectively respond to challenges across a diverse range of mental health fields.
- Offer well-informed mental health clinical interventions through mastery of theoretical and practical skills in the field of mental health.
- Apply expert clinical judgement and decision-making in mental health care settings.
- Advocate for mental health consumers, reducing stigma and promoting social inclusion and independence.
- Adapt to increasingly complex environments and work collaboratively across teams demonstrating expert leadership and management skills.
- Develop an evidence-based approach to effectively translate and apply theories and concepts that strengthen practice by ensuring informed decision making.
Graduates work within a range of health settings and disciplines.
To qualify for entry into the Master of Mental Health, you must have:
- successfully completed a minimum three-year Bachelors, or equivalent, in a health, psychology or social science related discipline, and;
- Be proficient in English.
Studying online requires:
- A PC or Mac with the latest operating system
- A fast, reliable internet connection
- The latest version of Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox
- the Blackboard app
Sometimes, specific software or textbooks are required.
Depending on previous work experience or study, you may be eligible to receive advanced standing against some of your subjects of study — letting you graduate sooner, for less. Learn more about the process of applying for advanced standing at Southern Cross University.
Develop advanced skills to respond to patient needs with the Master of Mental Health from Southern Cross University Online.
You will learn from clinically active healthcare academics, and build your capabilities to provide appropriate care.
Throughout the degree, you will enhance your understanding of mental health and psychology, and build the skills needed to respond effectively to patients with mild, moderate and severe mental health challenges.
You will gain practical skills and advanced theoretical knowledge to extend or enhance your role in mental health.
Recommended Study Pattern
Core Subjects (complete the below)
- Contemporary Mental Health
- Mental Health Across the Lifespan
- Mental Health in Community, Non-government and Private Settings
- Acute Mental Health
- Appraising Evidence
- Physical Healthcare in Mental Health
- Supporting Behaviour Change in Mental Health
- Healthcare Professional Portfolio A
- Applied Leadership in Mental Health Clinical Practice
- Developing Skills in Contemporary Psychotherapies
- Discovery and Enquiry in Health: The Critical Literature Review
To qualify for a Master of Mental Health online, you must complete 12 subjects (144 credit points), comprising:
- all 11 core subjects, and
- 1 elective subject.
You may be eligible to exit with the Graduate Diploma of Mental Health after completing 96 credit points, comprising 8 core subjects.
To exit with the Graduate Certificate in Mental Health, students must have successfully completed 48 credit points, comprising the first 4 core subjects.
Choose your subjects
Electives (choose one)
- Health Systems, Policies and Practices
- Leadership and Management in Health
- Leading Change in Healthcare
- Principles and Practice of Clinical Accountability
- Social and Emotional Competence in the Workplace
- Teaching and Supervision in a Clinical Setting
- The Positive Leader
- Organisational Change and Development
- Human Resource Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Project Management Principles
- Business Accounting for Managers
- Management Communication