Master of Inclusive and Specialised Education (1.5 years)
Become a specialised educator in just 18 months
Positively shape educational settings for diverse students. You’ll master skills to lead and design inclusive and specialised education. Advocate quality education for students with disabilities and learning difficulties.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. They offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Their courses offered through Open Universities Australia span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
Learn more about Flinders.
Explore Flinders courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Analyse, synthesise, and critically reflect on complex and often conflicting research, commentary, concepts, theories, legislation, ethical principles and issues in inclusive and specialised education policy, practice and provision
- Design, implement, evaluate, and refine educational opportunities for diverse learners through independent and collaborative practices
- Apply research-informed and future-ready knowledge, skills, and dispositions to demonstrate autonomy, expert judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a practitioner
- Interpret and transmit knowledge, skills and ideas in the field of inclusive and specialised education to different audiences and for different purposes
- Produce a substantial independent research study in an area of personal interest and relevance within the field of inclusive and specialised education
- Special/gifted education classroom teacher
- Inclusive or special education coordinator in a school or site
- Special education support roles
- Gifted education support roles
- Community roles in special needs settings
- Schools and education sites in all education sectors nationally and internationally
- Community organisations and Local Councils who employ graduates with special education qualifications.
These courses do not lead to teacher registration in South Australia.
Applicants must normally hold a degree or equivalent qualification in Education, Teaching or a closely related discipline from an approved tertiary institution.
English Proficiency Requirements
Flinders University conducts an English Language proficiency check on applications submitted for consideration to its courses.
This will be met in a number of ways, including if the applicants:
- first language is English (i.e. citizenship is held for a country where English is the official language)
- completed secondary schooling in Australia
- completed prior study in English (e.g. a Certificate IV or higher from a recognised Australian training institution)
- completed one semester of full-time equivalent tertiary study at a higher education institution
- completed a recognised Foundation Studies or bridging program
- performance in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) meets the University's admissions requirements
- registered with an Australian professional registration body relevant to the applicant's proposed course (e.g. applicant holds current registration as a Registered Nurse, General Practitioner, Teacher, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and such in Australia)
- achieved a score within an international English language proficiency test such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge CAE that meets the minimum proficiency for the university
- completed an approved English language course from a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Provider
In some instances, applicants may be asked to provide evidence they meet the requirements if the information required is not available in their application.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment.
This course acknowledges the diverse range of learners in preschools and schools and their entitlement to an equitable and appropriate education, and is designed to prepare educators and other professionals to build research-informed knowledge, skills and understandings that will enable them to implement and lead inclusive processes and practices in their schools and sites.
The Master of Inclusive and Specialised Education offers a wide range of topics to enable students to tailor their studies to suit their particular learning goals and contexts.
Recommended Study Pattern
In the Master of Inclusive and Specialised Education 1.5 years you can select from a range of topics and minor programs of study to shape the degree according to your needs and interests. The course addresses all facets of inclusive and specialised education within multi-tiered systems of support, including:
- evidence-based ‘universal’ practices to promote academic achievement, positive behaviour and wellbeing for all students;
- more intensive, targeted supports for students at-risk or experiencing difficulties, when and how this support is needed; and
- personalised programming for students with more complex, specialised needs.
To qualify for the Master of Inclusive and Specialised Education, a student must complete 54 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic
Upon completion of 18 units a student may choose to exit with one of the following awards, subject to meeting the program of study for that award:
- Graduate Certificate in Education
- Graduate Certificate in Gifted Education
- Graduate Certificate in Inclusive Education