Master of Education
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- critically discuss and evaluate current theory and research in selected areas of educational policy and practice
- apply evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices to illustrate complex stakeholder dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity
- synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion, and writing to generate conceptual frameworks that are used to evaluate educational research, policies and practices
- implement contextually relevant educational innovation through creative and effective curriculum design, pedagogy and leadership
- analyse leadership models and approaches in light of varied contexts for the purposes of informed decision making
- formulate research questions to investigate issues of interest and/or current concern in education
- design, conduct, and evaluate a small independent research project in the field of education
These courses can count towards professional learning.
These courses do not lead to teacher registration in South Australia.
Applicants must normally hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification or hold a Graduate Certificate in Education or closely related qualification.
English Proficiency Requirements
Flinders University conducts an English Language proficiency check on applications submitted for consideration to its courses.
This will be met in a number of ways, including if the applicants:
- first language is English (i.e. citizenship is held for a country where English is the official language)
- completed secondary schooling in Australia
- completed prior study in English (e.g. a Certificate IV or higher from a recognised Australian training institution)
- completed one semester of full-time equivalent tertiary study at a higher education institution
- completed a recognised Foundation Studies or bridging program
- performance in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) meets the University's admissions requirements
- registered with an Australian professional registration body relevant to the applicant's proposed course (e.g. applicant holds current registration as a Registered Nurse, General Practitioner, Teacher, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and such in Australia)
- achieved a score within an international English language proficiency test such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge CAE that meets the minimum proficiency for the university
- completed an approved English language course from a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Provider
In some instances, applicants may be asked to provide evidence they meet the requirements if the information required is not available in their application.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience. Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at www.flinders.edu.au/credit
The Master of Education is designed for a range of education professionals who want to develop or extend their expertise in education so they can move into specialist, coordinator or leadership positions.
With a multitude of pathway options and specialised minors, you can personalise your learning journey based on your personal and professional goals and requirements. Enhance your research skills, become an informed consumer of research, analyse educational policy and practice, and gain insights to ultimately improve professional decision making.
Sometimes we become so involved in the educational progression of others, we forget to foster our own. This is your opportunity. Progress your career with a postgraduate degree in Education today.
Recommended Study Pattern
In the Master of Education you will study core topics and you may select from a range of option topics and minor programs of study to shape the degree according to your needs and interests. A wide selection of topics allow a tailored, challenging and rewarding program of study that provides educators with topics that suit their on your personal and professional goals and interests.
To complete the requirements of the Master of Education, students must successfully complete five core (compulsory) topics, option topics and either one or two minors chosen from various study areas including Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice; Educational Design and Digital Learning; Inclusive Education; and Languages Education.