Graduate Diploma of Counselling (Child, Youth & Family Therapy)
Build your expertise in family counselling
Support young people and families through change and difficult times. You’ll study major counselling theories and think about your own practice framework. Build your client management skills. Explore child abuse prevention and intervention.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
- No dates available
Study UniSQ’s Graduate Diploma of Counselling (Child, Youth and Family Therapy), develop your expertise and make a real difference in families’ lives. Gain the required knowledge to work in relationship, family, child and youth counselling, as well as child abuse prevention and intervention.
- Apply a core body of knowledge, including contemporary theories and models central to counselling assessment, and treatment.
- Effectively utilise a range of advanced interpersonal, written, oral and digital literacy skills appropriate for communicating with diverse audiences including clients and professionals.
- Apply critical reasoning, problem solving, and professional and ethical judgement with initiative to identify and resolve a range of therapeutic, professional, legal and ethical practice issues.
- Consolidate theory and practice within an integrative framework to effectively provide counselling within diverse cultural and practice contexts and client groups.
- Utilise relevant research literature, methodologies and findings to inform practice development and decision-making processes.
As a graduate, you will be equipped to specialise in counselling, case management, wellbeing and youth work skills within a child, youth and family therapy career.
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma of Counselling will be able to apply for membership of the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) and registration as a Counsellor with the Australian Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (ARCAP).
Completion of an Australian university three-year bachelor degree in any area or equivalent.
English Proficiency Requirements
All students are required to satisfy the applicable English language requirements. For entry to the Graduate Diploma of Counselling (Child, Youth and Family Therapy) program, applicants are required to meet the Category 3 English Language Proficiency requirements.
On campus requirements
There are mandatory residential schools held at Ipswich, Springfield or Toowoomba campus, and synchronous mandatory online tutorials for:
- COU8102 Professional Counselling Practice, Identity and Ethics
- COU8103 Counselling Issues and Contexts
- COU8101 Counselling Skills and Applications
- COU8104 Counselling Frameworks
- COU8006 Group Counselling Process and Practice
Exemptions/credit will be assessed based on the USQ Credit and Exemption Procedure.
Study the Graduate Diploma of Counselling and gain the advanced knowledge and expertise to prepare for, or extend, your practices in a range of specialist counselling areas. Fulfil educational requirements towards eligibility for membership with the Australian Counselling Association. Within the Child, Youth and Family Therapy specialisation you will develop your expertise and make a real difference in families’ lives. Gain the required knowledge to work in relationship, family, child and youth counselling, as well as child abuse prevention and intervention. Further study pathway includes the Master of Counselling, which gives you the opportunity to fulfil your counsellor training or delve deeper into your chosen specialisation.
Recommended Study Pattern
Year 1 - Semester 1
COU8101 Counselling Skills and Applications
COU8102 Professional Counselling Practice, Identity and Ethics
EDU5325 Child Abuse and Neglect: Intervention, Protection and Prevention
COU8021 Couple and Family Counselling
Year 1 - Semester 2
COU8104 Counselling Frameworks
COU8103 Counselling Issues and Contexts
COU8022 Child and Youth Counselling
Completion of eight (8) units as outlined in the Recommended Study Pattern section.
- Upon completion of the appropriate 4 units, a student may apply to exit with the Graduate Certificate of Counselling.
Choose your subjects
- Alcohol and Drug Studies
- Child, Youth and Family Therapy
- Foundations of Practice
- Mental Health Counselling
Approved Course List
COU8006 Group Counselling Process and Practice
EDU5335 Emotional and Behavioural Problems of Children and Adolescents
COU8014 Relapse Prevention
COU8013 Introduction to Psychoactive Drugs