Bachelor of Information Technology
Become the next tech giant
JCU Information Technology is a leader in design thinking. A strong focus on student engagement develops graduates who are agile thinkers and innovative developers. Get ready for jobs of the future with an Information Technology degree.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of the Bachelor of Information Technology you will be able to:
- Demonstrate essential knowledge for a career in technology related professions and practice
- Synthesise industry standard and underlying principles and concepts for decision making
- Critically analyse the core professional obligations, values and operations of organisations including sustainability
- Critically evaluate data & resources in the context of relevant academic literature
- Apply critical thinking to address IT related issues
- Convey information clearly and fluently, in high quality written form appropriate for their audience
- Demonstrate effective oral presentation skills for academic and professional audiences
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively
- Apply technical skills, including numeracy, necessary for professional practice
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical and social responsibility in professional practice
- Identify and act upon, learning opportunities and self-improvements."
As a Bachelor of Information Technology graduate you could find employment as an IT project manager, software developer, games designer/tester/reviewer, simulation designer, enterprise architect, consultant, storyboarder, web designer, mobile app developer, and much more. There will be jobs too that no-one has even thought of yet.
Graduates are eligible to become an Associate Member of the Australian Computer Society immediately and a full Professional Member after they have satisfied the professional requirements."
Graduates are eligible to become an Associate Member of the Australian Computer Society immediately and a full Professional Member after they have satisfied the professional requirements.
Your existing higher education qualifications, such as a Diploma or Bachelor's degree, can fast-track you through your chosen JCU course. Whether you want to stay within the same career, or re-train for different opportunities, your previous qualifications and work experience can help you get there.
ATAR: 63.2 | English (Units 3/4, C) | Mathematical Methods (Units 3/4,C) desirable
The study you have already completed may count as credit towards a JCU degree, helping save time and expense.
If you’ve studied at TAFE or any other Vocational Education Training (VET) institution, your application process is identical to school leavers and non-school leavers. Apply through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) and they will assess your application. Once you are accepted into your course, the enrolment team from the division you applied to will assess your suitability to gain advanced standing, so your previous study won’t go to waste.
Work and Life
Experience gained through life and work may make you eligible to start studying a JCU degree. Employment is assessed on the level of skill required for the job and your length of service. Your employment does not need to directly relate to the course you are applying for.
If you are a mature-age student or school leaver who doesn't have an ATAR Score or recognised experience (must be at least 18 years old at time of application) successful completion of a Tertiary Access Course [https://www.jcu.edu.au/pathways-to-university/tertiary-access-courses] can provide you with the formal prerequisites to gain entry into many undergraduate courses.
- Successful completion of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT), or a bridging or enabling degree. Enabling degrees completed through other Australian Universities which meet minimum entry requirements for that institution will be accepted as minimum entry requirements for this degree.
English Proficiency Requirements
If you are of a non-English speaking background you must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 1 – Schedule II [https://www.jcu.edu.au/policy/procedures/student-services-procedures/admissions-policy-schedule-ii] of the JCU Admissions Policy.
If you don't meet the academic or English language requirements for direct entry into your preferred JCU degree, or if you want to enhance your career prospects JCU offers pathway study options.
During your studies you will have the opportunity to complete a Professional Internship or a Multidisciplinary Project or an Independent Project in your final year.
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study for a maximum of 48 credit points, granted for studies completed in the five years prior to the commencement of this degree.
The James Cook University Bachelor of Information Technology is a three-year, full-time (or equivalent part-time) degree. As a JCU IT student you'll study essential core subjects such as Gamification and Games Design, Information Security, and Data Mining. You can also choose an optional area of specialisation with four minor options available.
Recommended Study Pattern
- Fundamentals of Problem Solving and Programming I
- Internet Fundamentals
- Design Thinking
- Programming II
- Web Design and Development
- Preparatory Mathematics or Mathematical Foundations
- Information Processing and Visualisation
- Database Modelling
- Collective Intelligence and Entrepreneurship
- Programming III
- Design Thinking and Creative IT Industries
- Network Security
- e-Strategic Management
- Content Management Systems
- Data Mining
- Information Security
- Design Thinking and Project Management
- Mobile Computing
- Professional Internship or Multidisciplinary Project or Independent Project
MINORS (available for external study)
- Computer Science and Networking
- Human-Computer Interaction and Games Design
Students must complete 24 subjects.
Maximum time to complete your degree is 10 years. Maximum leave of absence is 1 year.