Bachelor of Information Technology
Become the next tech giant
Dreaming of becoming the next Steve Jobs? Start with this course – accredited by the Australian Computer Society (ACS). Cover the broad strokes of tech while specialising in an interest. Learn cyber security, programming, and even game design.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online and some attendance
- No dates available
James Cook University is committed to helping you enjoy a student experience that’s truly life-changing. This university prides itself on giving students, like you, the confidence to not only build practical and technical skills, but to be mentored and think differently. With James Cook University you can prepare for tomorrow, today.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this degree, students will be confident in a number of areas including:
- Fundamentals of Problem Solving and Programming
- Gamification and Games Design
- Data Mining
- Network Security
- Machine Learning and Data Science
- Information Security
- Collective Intelligence and Social Networks
- Content Management Systems
- Design Thinking – for Project Management and Creative IT Industries
You could find employment as an IT project manager, network administrator, designer, systems analyst, software developer, games developer, simulation designer, enterprise architect, consultant, story boarder, web designer or mobile app developer.
Graduates are eligible to become an Associate Member of the Australian Computer Society immediately and a full Professional Member after they have satisfied the professional requirements.
- Successful completion of one full time semester (four standard subjects) towards an Undergraduate or higher level of study at an Australian University. Study must include one language rich subject.
- OP 17/ATAR 60 or equivalent. Students must have completed English or a language rich subject.
- Completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or Advanced Diploma or Associate Diploma. You may also be eligible for credit toward your university study OR
- Completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate IV OR
- Completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate III and other language rich study.
Work and Life
- Successful completion of the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT).
- Bridging and enabling degree entry
- Tertiary Access Course (https://www.jcu.edu.au/pathways-to-university/tertiary-access-courses)
- Enabling degrees completed through other Australian Universities which meet minimum entry requirements for that institution will be accepted as minimum entry requirements for this degree.
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre: https://www.jcu.edu.au/ierc
English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants from a non-English speaking background may also need to meet JCU’s English proficiency requirements.
Students will have the opportunity to complete a Professional Internship or a Multidisciplinary Project or an Independent Project in their final year.
Students may apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study for a maximum of 48 credit points, granted for studies completed in the five years prior to the commencement of this degree.
The James Cook University Bachelor of Information Technology is a three-year, full-time (or equivalent part-time) degree. Combine an in-depth basis of computing theory with practical skills, with four minors available.
Students must complete 24 subjects.
Maximum time to complete is 10 years. Maximum leave of absence is 1 year.