Janitors provide cleaning and maintenance services for a variety of private and public buildings and grounds including schools, offices, public parks and restrooms. They should have good time management skills to effectively clean all necessary areas within the allotted time and be able to handle unpleasant circumstances in the workplace.
- Starting salary: $28,000 P/A Senior salary: $50,000 P/A Average salary: $40,000 P/A Wages will vary according to your level of skill, experience and employer Employment level: 6,800 as of November 2012 (Projected employment levels in 2017 of 6,000)
Average weekly hours: Average weekly hours worked for a full time Janitor is 44 hours
Employment by region:
The top three regions for employment as a Janitor include:
- NSW: 33.9%
- QLD: 32.1%
- VIC: 11.8%
Courses you may be interested in
Employment for Janitors has risen by a rate of 19.9% over the past 5 years, however is expected to decline through 2017.
Total employment growth over the past 5 years for male and female, employed part-time and full-time has declined by -200
Gender (including full time and part time)
The percentage of males and females working full time and part time are:
- Male Full Time: 58.9%
- Male Part Time: 25.9%
- Female Full Time: 7.3%
- Female Part Time: 8.0%
Other relevant information
- Manage a large set of keys, ensuring that no one else gets access to them and making sure to lock all areas upon completion of job.
- Manage time effectively to clean all areas needed in an allotted amount of time.
- Perform basic maintenance on building and equipment, notifying management or customers when major repairs are needed.
- Stock and refill necessary items in common spaces such as tissue, soap, toilet paper; purchase more stock when needed.
- Vacuum, mop, scrub or sweep floors, carpet and ground areas.
- Wash, clean and sanitise common areas in public or private areas including public restrooms.
- Attention to Detail
- Cleaning Skills
- Excellent Organisational Skills
- Problem Solving Capabilities
- Time Management
Janitors typically work after regular work hours in order to clean entire buildings without many people using the space. They typically work Monday to Friday but may work on weekends to provide additional heavy cleaning that is hard to get to during the regular week. They should be able to spend long periods of time on their feet and be able to handle unpleasant circumstances while cleaning.
Professional associations / Industry information
Related jobs and job titles
- Domestic Cleaner
- Facilities Officer
- Industrial Cleaner
- Window Cleaner