How to become an inspector and regulatory officer
What does an inspector and regulatory officer do?
Duties and tasks
- Assess water resource supplies, test water samples to make sure water is clean for use and process license requests to access water.
- Check legal documents of individuals, and examine visas and applications for residency.
- Conduct inspections on potentially hazardous plants, buildings, waste management operations and a variety of other services to ensure emissions are within specific regulations.
- Document and prepare reports based on inspections and findings, referring cases for enforcement or penalties if needed.
- Evaluate bus, trains and other public transportation to ensure they are operating effectively and running according to schedule.
- Inspect company taxation documents to ensure compliance with taxation rules and regulations.
- Inspect vehicles, buildings, property and companies for regulation compliance and identify illegal activities such as undocumented freight and banned items.
- Investigate the authenticity of claims for government benefits and ensure compliance with standards.
- Compliance officer
- Customs investigator
- Customs officer
- Local government inspector
- Parking inspector
- Quality assurance inspector
- Traffic officer
- Transport operations officer
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.