How to become a policy analyst
What does policy analyst do?
Policy analysts analyse policies and their effects to direct government and organisation programs and operations. They offer strategic policy and planning advice for organisations and should have excellent analytical abilities and an understanding of organisational policies and objectives.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse anticipated impact and financial circumstances, effect on other programs and political and administrative achievability of policies.
- Evaluate existing policies and legislation to ascertain inconsistencies and out-dated requirements.
- Implement and oversee research and analysis projects to evaluate socio-economic and commercial trends with organisations expectations of programs and services.
- Prepare analyses of policy options for organisations as well as recommendations for policy development and modifications.
- Serve as a reference and expert in the field on policy, program and legislative matters, working with government officials and stakeholders.
- Work with other Managers and Board Members to outline goals and objectives and develop strategic policies to meet those objectives.
- Education officer
- Foreign affairs and trade officer
- Policy advisor
- Policy and planning manager
- Project and program administrator
- Research officer
- Research and development manager
- Resource economist
- University lecturer
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Do you need a masters to work in a library?
Librarians play an important role in keeping information accessible and helping people find what they need. But what qualifications do you actually need to become a librarian in Australia?
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.