Working with Children and Young People
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Describe the theories of child development and normal development trajectories.
- Identify common disorders of childhood and adolescence.
- Evaluate the process of attachment in children and its role in development.
- Evaluate the impact of the experience of trauma and illness on development.
- Implement the knowledge and skills for engaging children and adolescents in therapy.
- Refer to Mylo for study topics
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No additional requirements
In this subject students will explore issues related to counselling with children and adolescents. Consideration is given to developmental issues, attachment, disorders of childhood and adolescence, chronic illness and disability. Strategies for intervention will also be addressed including engaging children in therapy and the therapeutic needs of children and adolescents facing specific problems. Child protection issues will also be explored. This subject is designed to equip students with basic knowledge with regard to child and adolescent functioning and practical skills for the delivery of child and adolescent counselling models.
- Child Attachment Scenario and Short Answer Questions (40%)
- Case Scenario and Skills Task (20%)
- Case Study Analysis/Essay (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Graduate Certificate in Counselling for Education Professionals