Insurance and Personal Risk
Build knowledge in a range of life insurance products that have been used in years passed, and will be used for years to come. Gain confidence in suggesting which plans are best for an individual's circumstances.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Prepare and present appropriate personal risk insurance services, advice and products to clients
- Explain the use of insurance as a risk management tool
- Describe and evaluate the application of insurance law and contracts
- Apply life insurance and estate planning strategies in financial planning scenarios
- Operations of insurance markets
- Regulation and compliance
- Nature of risk, risk management
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance and business insurance
- General and health insurance
- Policy law and documentation
- Claims and underwriting
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
Risk management is a complex, progressive and demanding industry based on the protection of individuals, businesses and governments against risk and financial catastrophe. Insurance is the foundation of our lives and the social and economic fabric of our society. This subject will assist you to develop a clear appreciation of the life insurance sector of the financial services industry. Life insurance is the cornerstone of most financial plans and one of the most important areas in personal financial management. The financial adviser must be aware of the need for and appropriate amount of life insurance and to match up the most suitable policy to meet the need within the client’s affordability.
Although there are a wide variety of different life insurance products to cater for different needs in the market today, the basic types of products have not changed significantly. It is important that the financial adviser understands these fundamentals and be able to recommend the appropriate products that will meet the client’s situation and needs.
- Online test (12%)
- Invigilated exam (50%)
- Individual written assessment (20%)
- Individual case study (18%)