Your upfront cost: $0
- 10 Jul 2023
Australia’s fourth oldest university, the University of Tasmania, is highly regarded internationally for teaching and academic excellence. The university offers more than 100 undergraduate degrees and more than 50 postgraduate programs across a range of disciplines. The university offers students a diverse range of opportunities, the chance to learn from leading experts, and excellent preparation for their future careers.
Learn more about UTAS.
Explore UTAS courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate an adequate understanding of the national social and policy context for provision of addiction counselling assessment & intervention.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of theories and process of the main models of addiction treatment.
- Demonstrate understanding of, and capacity for, engagement, comprehensive psychosocial assessment, treatment matching and referral.
- Demonstrate understanding of, and capacity to, undertake various forms of individual addiction counselling and group work.
- Demonstrate the application of self-reflective processes in refinement of your own addiction counselling competence.
- Refer to Mylo for study topics
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No additional requirements
This subject provides an introduction to studies in addictive behaviours in preparation for employment in the areas of alcohol and other substance counselling, treatment and prevention. It provides an overview of models of treatment and prevention of addictive behaviours with an emphasis on substance use disorders and behavioural addictions, such as gambling. Policy options and approaches to drug education and harm reduction are also introduced.
- Infographic (30%)
- Case Study (40%)
- Self-Reflection (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
Graduate Certificate in Counselling for Health Professionals