Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 13 Jul 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Please note: This subject coding (TAS-XAB091A) is only available to students studying the Undergraduate Certificate in University Preparation.
Upon completion of this subject, the student should be able to:
- Communicate mathematical ideas and information underpinned by the principles of academic integrity
- Critically evaluate numerical arguments
- Use mathematical techniques to solve problems
- Statistical investigations
- Data collection
- Summarising data
- Drawing conclusions and statistical inference
- Analysing and evaluating research
- Proportional reasoning
- Algebraic reasoning
- Critically evaluating numerical arguments
- Financial literacy: Using Excel and Word equation editor
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
In this subject you will develop the mathematical knowledge, skills, and confidence essential for further University study. In particular, you will explore and apply methods for:
- Gathering, presenting and analysing numerical information (data, graphs, statistics)
- Reasoning about relative proportions (ratios, scaling, percentages, fractions)
- Thinking about numbers and abstract patterns (algebraic reasoning)
The focus is on developing skills in these areas and using numerical reasoning to identify and analyse problems, draw and justify conclusions, and make sense of real-life situations.
- Tutorial worksheets (45%)
- Short answer assessment 1 (15%)
- Short answer assessment 2 (25%)
- Weekly quiz: Multiple choice or short answer quizzes (15%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.