Total Quality Management
Define total quality as it relates to the manufacturing and service sector. Note the management philosophies that foster it. Realise that quality performance is a strategic company goal.Learn how to improve quality management in an organisation.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2022
Subjects may require attendance
- 28 Feb 2022
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental underlying concepts and philosophies of Total Quality Management
- apply various analysis techniques to detect the root cause of quality problems in an organisation
- demonstrate knowledge of quality management implementation principles within a manufacturing or service organisation
- competent use of a wide range of statistical tools to control and improve processes
- demonstrate ability to make decisions for complex problems regarding the infrastructure to support and develop quality management programmes.
- Introduction to Quality
- Total Quality in organisations
- Philosophies and frameworks
- Strategic focus for Performance Excellence
- Process Management
- Performance measurement and information management
- Six Sigma and process improvement
- Design for quality and product excellence
- Statistical process control
- Leading, building and sustaining performance excellence
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
The aim of the subject is to build an understanding of the management of quality and the recognition of quality performance as a strategic goal in manufacturing and service companies.
The subject will provide an insight into issues of global competitiveness and the role of management leadership, quality planning, company culture, quality tools and systems, teamwork and communications all integrated to form the overall organisational response to successfully face today's business challenge for manufacturing industry and services. It will be highlighted that quality is no longer an added function to the organisation, neither is it related solely to the resulting product or service. Also, it is vital to point out that Quality is based on the scientific method and uses specific and statistical tools to a great extent. Quality is the responsibility of everyone and embedded in every activity undertaken by the organisation and is customer driven.
- Continuous Assessment (20%)
- Integrative Assessment (30%)
- Invigilated Exam - 2 hours (50%)
Current study term: 27 Feb 22 to 05 Jun 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.