Engineering Research Practice
Create a proposal for a research project drawing on the core elements of research program design. Discuss the range of research methods open to you. Make use of questionnaires, interviews and information databases. Investigate a key engineering issue.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 19 Jul 2021
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- describe the key elements in the design of research programs
- appreciate the diversity of possible research methods and their purposes to enable a selection of a method for a particular project
- plan the data collection and research method for a small project
- apply skills in gathering and analysing information
- apply skills and knowledge of the methods for writing effectively for research degrees.
- Research design
- Qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Sources of data and data collection procedures
- Measurement strategies
- Questionnaire design
- Interviewing techniques
- Content analysis
- Literature surveys
- Information databases
- Statistical techniques
- Evaluation and writing of research reports, papers and theses
- Development of a research program
- Writing research proposals
- Philosophy of a broad range of research methods
- Research methodology selection
- Interaction of research methodology and type of knowledge developed through the project
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject aims to equip you with the fundamental concepts and practice of engineering research and enable you to develop a proposal for a small research project under supervision.
- Assignment 1 - 1000 words (15%)
- Assignment 2 - 2000 words (45%)
- Assignment 3 - 1500 words (40%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.