Civil Engineering Practice
Get constructive about civil engineering and environmental structural design. Specialise and sprout green building concepts using sustainable materials. Consider design loads. Improve structural integrity and performance using BIM technology
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 26 Aug 2019
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- understand the specialisations within civil engineering
- demonstrate a knowledge of sustainable construction materials with a focus on their use in building construction
- understand and apply the concepts of limit states design, load determination and load paths in building structures
- demonstrate knowledge of green building design concepts and their application to a range of structures
- understand the capabilities of Building Information Modelling and its role in facilitating collaboration between architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) professionals
- utilise structural analysis software to model and analyse a simple structure
- continue to develop teamwork, reflection and presentation skills required for professional practice as a civil engineer.
- Introduction to the civil engineering profession
- Sustainable construction materials and applications
- Key concepts in behaviour and design of structures
- Green building design
- Building information modelling and graphical representation of building structures
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s); or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone are required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
- OtherDetails -
Students will require administrator access to a Windows Operating System so as to install and run specialist software
The subject is themed around sustainable building design and construction, as well as an introduction to the specialisations within civil engineering. It includes: Introduction to the civil engineering profession and associated specialisations; Sustainable construction materials and practices and green building design; Building design and construction overview including limit states, loads and load paths; Green building design; Introduction to Building Information Modelling (BIM) and the use of structural analysis software.
- Communication (10%)
- Group project (50%)
Textbook information is pending.
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject in Mechanical Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering