Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- understand and display detailed knowledge of the social, political and biographical background to certain key works of history;
- understand and display knowledge of the various historiographical and theoretical underpinnings of history as a discipline;
- understand and interpret a variety of key historical works;
- write and present well-constructed, properly-referenced historical prose;
- reflect upon one's own understanding and engagement with the nature of historical knowledge; and
- conduct research appropriate to studying history at the first-year tertiary level.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in Diploma in Arts
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
What constitutes an historical work and makes someone an historian?
In this subject we tackle these and other questions concerning the discipline of historical inquiry. Behind every work of history there is a person with a determined interest and motivation in presenting an historical account of some aspect of the past and in interpreting it. As E. H. Carr argued in 'What is History (1961)', study the historian and the societies they have come from before studying the histories they have produced.
As societies and cultures change so does the nature of history emerging from them. By exploring the changing nature of history and the work of selected 'historians', we will uncover the different ways in which they have approached the task of writing history, and the different formats they have used in presenting it.
Assessment 1 Online Quiz: 300 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2,4 Assessment 2 Online Quiz: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2,4 Assessment 3 Online Quiz: 700 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2,4 Assessment 4 Essay: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-6
Current study term: 27 Jun 21 to 24 Sep 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.