Primary Mathematics 2A: Space, Measurement and Number
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Learn more about UNE.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- use curriculum, assessment and mathematical content knowledge to design learning sequences and lesson plans (GTSD 2.3.1);
- plan lesson sequences and activities that promote problem solving, working and communicating mathematically, using knowledge of student learning, content and effective teaching strategies (GTSD 3.2.1);
- demonstrate an understanding of informal, formative assessment approaches to assess student learning and the purpose of providing this assessment as timely and appropriate feedback to students about their learning (GTSD 5.1.1, 5.2.1); and
- implement a wide range of teaching strategies, tools and resources related to ICT to expand curriculum learning opportunities (GTSD 2.6.1).
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
There is continued focus in Australian education on children’s development of core skills in mathematics throughout their school years. The foundations for strong mathematical knowledge are laid down in primary education. This subject equips you with content knowledge and skills within the curriculum strands of Measurement and Geometry, and Number. By examining developmental teaching theories and the psychology of learning mathematics, you will learn how to foster flexible, critical and creative thinking in your students. You will also explore learning sequence design and lesson planning that promotes student-centred teaching and learning, examine investigative activities and tools to promote problem-solving and mathematics communication, apply strategies for assessment task development and learn to effectively integrate contemporary ICT tools and strategies into your classroom.
Assessment 1: 2000 words. Assessment Notes: Lesson Planning. Relates to GTSD: 2.3.1, 3.2.1, 5.1.1, 5.2.1. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3 Assessment 2: Assessment Notes: Teaching Activities. Relates to GTSD: 2.3.1, 2.6.1, 3.2.1. Relates to Learning Outcome 1, 2, 4 Workshop: Notes: Workshop attendance - On campus students must attend and participate in 80% of workshops, with absences to be satisfactorily accounted for e.g. by a doctor's certificate. Online students should participate in the online activity/forum postings. Students not meeting this requirement will receive an NC (Compulsory Fail) grade for the unit.
- Assessment 1 - Lesson Planning (50%)
- Assessment 2 - Teaching Activities (50%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 09 Jun 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.