Introductory Client Centred Health Care
Prepare for case work with clients of community services including healthcare and welfare. Build your understanding of cultural diversity and see how it impacts case workers and clients. Learn to assess client issues and refer them for the best care.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 02 Mar 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- describe principles of effective community services case work in the context of the individual case worker and client;
- describe principles of effective case work in a service organisation context;
- define cultural diversity and cultural awareness as these apply to case workers and their clients;
- discuss case work practice and professional relationships in a context of cultural diversity and awareness; and
- assess a range of client issues and appropriate referral protocols characteristically encountered as a community services case worker.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - Please refer students to link for requirements: UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This unit introduces students to theoretical foundations of case work as a key component of community services delivery. Individual, community and statutory considerations are applied to identification and assessment of needs, and delivery of appropriate services. Frameworks for evaluating optimal service delivery, including appropriate referral to alternative providers or organisations, are introduced as a key foundation of service delivery.
Assessment 1: 2000 words equivalent; Written assignment; Relates to Learning Outcomes: 3-4 Assessment 2: 1500 words equivalent; Written assignment; Relates to Learning Outcomes: 1-5
- Assessment 1 (50%)
- Assessment 2 (50%)
Cultural Diversity: A Primer for the Human Services 6th ed.