Introduction to the Italian Renaissance
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 01 Mar 2021
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a deep understanding of the social, political and cultural aspects of the Italian Renaissance;
- apply an interdisciplinary approach to the study of a crucial period in Western culture by exploring the intersection of literary texts (in translation), material and visual culture;
- demonstrate critical thinking skills through recommended reading, essay writing, online forums and class discussion; and
- conduct independent research and effectively communicate ideas through a wide range of mediums.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in the Diploma in Modern Languages
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject introduces students to the manifold facets of the Italian Renaissance. Students will explore the intellectual developments and the unprecedented advances in the fields of art, architecture, science and technology. The subject adopts an interdisciplinary approach and analyses documentary sources, and visual and material culture outputs. Students will have the opportunity to develop a topic of interest and present it to the class using a wide range of mediums. Students will also gain an all-round knowledge and understanding of the Italian Renaissance and its legacy throughout time.
Assessment 1 Online Assessment: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 2 Research Project: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 3 Research Essay: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4
- Online Assessment - Participation in online classes or completion of online tasks (10%)
- Research Project (50%)
- Research Essay (40%)
Current study term: 28 Feb 21 to 28 May 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major