Introduction to Peace Studies
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate specialised knowledge of major concepts about conflict, violence and peace;
- examine and analyse the major causes of violence;
- analyse and synthesise different approaches of achieving peace and alleviating conflict and violence; and
- transfer to others ideas and knowledge necessary to make peace happen in their lives and relationships.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in Diploma in Arts
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
The subject examines the meanings of conflict, violence and peace. It explores positive peace, negative peace and nonviolence. It considers the various challenges of conflict transformation from cultures of violence to peace and peaceful futures, by focusing on peacemaking and reconciliation.
Assessment 1 Quiz: 300 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 2 Quiz: 300 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 3 Quiz: 300 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 4 Essay: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-4 Assessment 5 Take Home Exam: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3
- Take Home Exam - 2 hrs 15 mins (40%)