Introduction to Japanese Popular Culture
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Jun 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- analyse critically production and consumption of Japanese popular music, manga/anime, television and Japanese popular culture across Australasia, East Asia and South-East Asia;
- show the ability to critically evaluate and analyse an advanced range of key academic literature on Japanese popular culture; and
- present an advanced clear and coherent exposition of ways in which ideas and values are communicated through Japanese popular culture.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject explores contemporary Japanese popular culture through the topic areas of anime, manga, popular music, television and the spread of Japanese popular culture abroad. On successful completion of this subject, you will have some understanding of the role popular culture plays in everyday life in Japan and ways in which ideas and values are communicated through it. This subject will assist you in learning the Japanese language to develop an understanding of Japanese culture. However, no proficiency in the Japanese language is required and non-language students will be able to gain a foundational knowledge of Japanese popular culture. You will study excerpts of various authentic examples as well as the academic literature in the field.
Online Assessment: 5 Quizzes (2% each). 500 Words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 1: Literature Review. 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 2: Essay. 3500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3
- 5 online quizzes (2% each) (10%)
- Assessment 1: Literature Review (45%)
- Assessment 2: Essay (45%)
Current study term: 26 Jun 22 to 23 Sep 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major