Introduction to Japanese Language in Society
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2022
- 27 Jun 2022
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of sociolinguistic and socio-cultural aspects of the Japanese language;
- demonstrate an understanding of possible problems in communicating with native speakers of Japanese in contact situations (i.e. cross-cultural communication); and
- apply sociolinguistic and socio-cultural knowledge and skills appropriately to forestall or deal with problems in communicating with native speakers of Japanese.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Candidature in the Diploma in Modern Languages To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject introduces students to aspects of the Japanese language and system of communication that will enhance their ability to communicate effectively and appropriately in a variety of social contexts. Topics covered include linguistic variation in Japanese, rules for communication in certain social and cultural contexts in Japan, and issues surrounding cross-cultural communication between native speakers and non-native speakers of Japanese.
Assessment 1 Online Participation: 500 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 2 Online Assessment: 750 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2 Assessment 3 Online Assessment: 750 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2 Assessment 4 Written assessment: 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3
- Online Participation (10%)
- Online Assessment (20%)
- Online Assessment (20%)
- Written assessment (50%)
Current study term: 26 Jun 22 to 23 Sep 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Diploma in Modern Languages
- Chinese Language Major
- French Language Major
- German Language Major
- Indonesian Language Major
- Italian Language Major
- Japanese Language Major