Introduction to Ancient Rome
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 28 Jun 2021
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the significant issues of Roman Republican history to 44 BC;
- interpret and understand human behaviour in a historically different context;
- apply critical analysis to ancient evidence;
- produce clear and effective written work;
- apply basic research skills; and
- develop cogent, logical arguments (including the ability to select, synthesise, and use evidence).
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in Diploma in Arts
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
This subject explores Ancient Rome from its rise to power on the international stage to the death of Julius Caesar in 44 BC.Emphasis is placed on the literary and material evidence that survives for this period, and the analytical skills historians use to interpret that evidence.
Assessment 1 Online Analysis: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1,3-5 Assessment 2 Essay: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-6 Assessment 3-Option A: Take Home Exam. 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1,3-5 Assessment 3-Option B: Essay. 2000 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1,3-5
- Online Analysis (20%)
- Assessment 3-Option A (40%)
- Assessment 3-Option B (40%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.