History of Australian Education
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 29 Jun 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- display knowledge of some theories of schooling and evaluate some evidence and interpretations of the history of Australian education;
- describe the origins and development of schooling in Australia in any of their historical, political, social and cultural contexts;
- discuss diversity in Australian education in relation to any of these power relations: financial, political, institutional or curricular; and
- identify and evaluate some contemporary issues and debates in Australian education in relation to any of their historical, political, social and cultural contexts.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
History of Australian Education provides an historical approach to understanding educational issues in Australia since 1788. A range of aspects of Australian schooling are explored: the nature of historical study; theories of schooling; state and school formation in colonial Australia; expansion and school reform; state aid's fall and rise; migrant and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander responses to schooling; teacher unions; the expansion of universities; current debates. These topics will be investigated not only in historical terms, but with reference to sociological, political, cultural and policy analyses of Australian schooling.
Essay: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1, 2 Essay: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 3, 4
- Essay - 2500 Words (50%)
- Essay - 2500 Words (50%)
Textbook information is pending.