Global Societal Challenges
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate coherent theoretical knowledge of the principal concepts/theories in development, globalisation and social change;
- critically examine the context in which development policies are conceived, formulated, adopted and implemented;
- independently evaluate the nature of development regimes and processes in developing countries;
- examine the roles of various stakeholders in managing development;
- analyse the relevance of globalisation to development and social change; and
- apply the skills required to organise and articulate ideas for a range of audiences and purposes by communicating effectively in written and oral presentations.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Candidature in Bachelor of Criminology To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
The aim of this subject is to understand the ramifications of globalisation and economic and social development and their impact on social change. The focus will be on globalisation, social and economic development, the environment, human rights, governance, social and political participation and media representations of issues of global change and significance.
Assessment 1 Online Portfolio: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-6 Assessment 2 Critical Reading Assessment: 1500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-6 Assessment 3 Essay Plan: 500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-2 Assessment 3 Essay: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-6
- Online Portfolio (20%)
- Essay Plan (10%)
- Critical Reading Assessment (30%)