Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Online and other materials
- 02 Mar 2020
The University of New England is the only Australian public university to be awarded the maximum 5 stars for Overall Experience by the Good Universities Guide, 13 years in a row. UNE has delivered distance education since 1955—that’s longer than any other Australian university. Perhaps that’s why students continue to rate UNE so highly for student satisfaction and teaching quality. With over 170 degrees offered online, and more than 20,000 online students, UNE is the expert in online education.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced understanding of the financial planning advisory processes and apply expert knowledge of relevant ethical and professional responsibilities;
- demonstrate and apply expert knowledge of the industry and the external environment in which financial planners operate, including the economic, legal, compliance and disclosure requirements when providing advice;
- independently apply suitable theories of investment, portfolio management, superannuation, the associated taxation issues, and the management of investment risk to plan strategies for building and managing wealth for clients; and
- demonstrate at a high level the ability to communicate to clients all relevant and appropriate advice and recommendations in a clear and concise manner, in a systematic and complying format and at a level appropriate for the client.
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- SoftwareDetails - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- TravelDetails - Travel may be required to attend the Final Examination for this subject.
- OtherDetails -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
Where calculators are permitted in examinations, it must be selected from an approved list, which can be accessed from the Further Information link below.
This subject is a comprehensive study of the fundamental requirements in financial planning. It provides the requisite knowledge and skills for financial planners and the financial planning processes, professional ethics and regulations, and the associated economic environment.
The study topics covered include: the financial planning process, construction of a financial plan (the Statement of Advice) and its implementation and review, and related specialist topics of superannuation and retirement, risk management and insurance, estate planning as well as the operation and management of the industry.
Client Interview and Report: 1,500 words; 10%; LO 1 Essay and Calculations: 60%; LOs 1-4 Final Examination: 30%; LOs 1-4. Students must obtain at least 50% in the exam (and at least 50% overall) to receive a pass or better in the unit. UNE manages supervised exams associated with your UNE subjects. Prior to census date, UNE releases exam timetables. They’ll email important exam information directly to your UNE email address.
- Client Interview and Report (10%%)
- Essay and Calculations (60%%)
- Final Examination (30%%)
Financial Planning in Australia: Advice and Wealth Management 9th ed.