International Business Operations
Your upfront cost: $0
- 22 May 2023
The University of Adelaide has a habit of breaking new ground. It was Australia’s first university to welcome female students. The first to offer science and business degrees. Its alumni include Australia’s first female prime minister; the first Australian to walk in space; 2021 Young Australian of the Year; and 2020 Australian of the Year. Adelaide’s OUA degrees will give you deep discipline knowledge, transferable, future-ready skills, and the capability to change the world for the better. With Adelaide, you can make history.
Learn more about Adelaide University.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply theoretical concepts and analytical tools to analyse cross-border business scenarios;
- Identify opportunities and risks entailed in various internationalisation decisions;
- Appreciate and explain the complexity of international business operations; and
- Communicate analytical findings in relation to the international business operations of a firm.
- Topic/Lecture Learning Activities
- International Business Operations: An Introduction
- Strategy of the International firm
- Internationalisation as Entrepreneurial Activity/Opportunity Assessment/ Market Selection
- Mode of Foreign Market Entry: Exporting and Countertrade
- Licensing, Franchising and other Contractual Strategies
- FDI and Collaborative Ventures
- Global Operations, Sourcing and Offshoring
- Internationalisation of Services
- International Marketing
- International HRM
- Ethics and CSR in International Business
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media). Headset, including microphone (highly recommended). Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete their units. MyUni is the University of Adelaide's online learning environment. MyUni provides access to various features including announcements, course materials, discussion boards, and assessments.
This course prepares students for working in an organisation that operates internationally. Students are exposed to different aspects that underpin internationalisation decisions of a firm. They also learn about the input of different functional units within organisations in the success of their international operationists. The broad content themes include international strategy and organisation; entrepreneurial nature of international expansion; different modes of foreign market entry; internationalisation of service firms; international marketing, human resource management, and sourcing. Finally, students have an opportunity to explore ethics and corporate social responsibility (CSR) in the international context. The course develops skills in analysing cross-border business scenarios, identifying opportunities and risks entailed in various internationalisation decisions, appreciating the complexity of international business operations, and including ethics and social responsibility as significant factors shaping a firm's behaviour in a home and host country(ies).
All assessment is assignment based.
- Case Study Analysis (25%)
- International Business Plan (30%)
- Participation and Engagement (10%)
- Final Assignment (35%)
Current study term: 21 May 23 to 18 Aug 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.