Undergraduate | UAD-COM3502OUA-2023
Human Resource Management
Part of a degree
- 04 Sept 2023
About this subject
What you'll learn
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Recognise and discuss the critical role that effective people management plays in building and maintaining competitive advantage in contemporary organisations.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic HR functions, and the theories, concepts, models, and methods that inform HR practice.
- Apply HRM concepts and technical knowledge to the analysis of HRM problems, cases, and issues.
- Write a research report that demonstrates an effective synthesis of research findings with the relevant research literature.
- Recognise and demonstrate the behaviours and attitudes required for effective teamwork.
- Introducing HRM/Strategic HR
- Employee relations, HR and the legal context of work
- Health, safety, and employee wellbeings
- Equity and diversity
- Job analysis and design
- Human resource planning
- Recruitment and selection
- HRD and career development
- Performance management
- International HRM
- The future of HRM
The aim of this course is to introduce students to the principles and practices of contemporary human resource management with a specific focus on the strategic role that it plays in helping organisations build and maintain competitive advantage. The course will explore the theory and practice of human resource management across the following areas: workforce planning; ethical and legal frameworks for HRM; employee selection; training and development; performance management; compensation; employee relations; diversity management; health, safety, and wellbeing; employee separation; and HRM in a global environment.
All assessment is assignment based.
- Participation and Engagement (10%)
- Individual Report (20%)
- Group Project Report (20%)
- Final assignment (40%)
- Group Project, Peer Assessment (10%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
The University of Adelaide has a habit of breaking new ground. It was Australia’s first university to welcome female students. The first to offer science and business degrees. Its alumni include Australia’s first female prime minister; the first Australian to walk in space; 2021 Young Australian of the Year; and 2020 Australian of the Year. Adelaide’s OUA degrees will give you deep discipline knowledge, transferable, future-ready skills, and the capability to change the world for the better. With Adelaide, you can make history.
Learn more about Adelaide University.
Explore Adelaide University courses.
QS Ranking 2023: 8
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023: 7
Part of a degree
To enrol in this subject you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- UAD-HSM-DEG-2023 - Bachelor of Health Service Management
- UAD-INB-DEG-2023 - Bachelor of International Business
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media). Headset, including microphone (highly recommended). Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or presentations).
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units. MyUni is the University of Adelaide's online learning environment. MyUni provides access to various features including announcements, course materials, discussion boards and assessments.
Once you’ve completed this subject it can be credited towards one of the following degrees