Technology Essentials for Managers
Build and apply a better understanding and oversight of technology across the IT sector.Gain broad skills and familiarity with essential and emerging technologies. Drive and manage key business phases of IT adoption, transition and implementation.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Critically analyse and evaluate the role of data and the critical issues surrounding Big Data and data management as part of a contemporary and the future organisation
- Critically evaluate and triage issues related to technological infrastructure and identify appropriate technological vendor and/or partner to work with in resolving the issues
- Apply advanced knowledge of the frameworks, methods, tools and the business impact associated with technology adoption
- Critically evaluate options for ensuring coherent approaches to managing service delivery within an organisation
- Communicate proficiently and in professional practice to a diverse range of audiences and operate as a member or leader of a diverse group
- Overview of Organisational IS/IT Infrastructure: Network Technologies, Internet Technologies, Mobile Technologies, Data, Data Management, Data Centre
- Emerging Technologies/concepts: Cloud Computing, Cloud-based and Location-based Services, disruptive technologies & innovation, Green IT/Technologies
- The Key Aspects on Infrastructure Management
- Organisational & Managerial Perspective on Technologies
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject is designed for managers and corporate strategists who want a better understanding on their role in IT/Technology oversight and management. The subject is especially relevant for non-technical managers with IT responsibilities. Essential technologies for an organisation will be discussed, as well as emerging technologies that potentially could be part of the mainstream organisational technologies in the near future. An overview of the rationale and consideration in the management aspects of these technologies (including adoption, acquisition, deployment, maintenance) such as impact management, change management, service delivery, business value delivery, management of technology vendors and partners will also be discussed.
- Individual (20-30%)
- Individual (20-30%)
- Group (20-30%)
- Individual (20-40%)