Major Project - History of Astronomy
Delve into a galactic study of a historical universe and its celestial objects. Observe heavenly bodies. Survey matter and motion outside the Earth’s atmosphere. Research and record methods and investigations. Report and illuminate discoveries.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of astronomical history
- Write a literature review for a project, providing a description of background reading and the plan of research to give a broad understanding of the topic
- Undertake independent research
- Keep a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- Write a detailed and clear report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached in the project
- Have analysis skills
- Have communication skills
- Ability to work independently.
- Students will undertake a substantial literature and/or internet research project on a particular aspect or period of the history of astronomy
- Each student will work closely with a supervisor assigned to his or her project, communicating and exchanging drafts via email
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- SWI-AST80008-History of Astronomy
No special requirements
This subject aims to develop the student's knowledge and understanding of a particular aspect or period of the history of astronomy, and their practical literature and internet research skills, plus synthesis and communication skills.
One of the assignments tasks may also include logging your work electronically. (Electronic Logbook).
- Project report (50%)
- Literature review (30%)
- Project proposal (20%)