Major Project - History of Astronomy
Delve into a galactic study of a historical universe and its celestial objects. Observe heavenly bodies. Survey matter and motion outside the Earth’s atmosphere. Research and record methods and investigations. Report and illuminate discoveries.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Swinburne University of Technology leads the way with innovative and new ways of teaching, learning and thinking. It offers a wide range of study options, from pre-apprenticeships, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhDs, including online degrees with Open Universities Australia. Swinburne is known for career-oriented education and encouraging lifelong learning.
Students who successfully complete this subject will be able to:
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of a particular aspect of astronomical history
- Develop and identify a project proposal which includes a research plan, the project aims, objectives and expected outcomes
- Design and create a literature review for the project, providing a description of background reading and the plan of research to give a broad understanding of the topic
- Demonstrate independent research
- Design and create a comprehensive record of research methodologies and references/resources utilised
- Design and create a detailed project report of techniques used, investigations undertaken and conclusions reached
- Students will undertake a substantial literature and/or internet research project on a particular aspect or period of the history of astronomy
- Previous project topics are listed to give an idea of the scope of project expected.
- Students should suggest their own project, subject to negotiation with the unit convener.
- Each student will work closely with a supervisor, and, where appropriate, students will collaborate with each other via newsgroup discussions.
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
SWI-AST80008-History of Astronomy , or SWI-HET607
No special requirements
This subject aims to develop the student's knowledge and understanding of a particular aspect or period of the history of astronomy, and their practical literature and Internet research skills, plus synthesis and communication skills.
One of the assignments tasks may also include logging your work electronically. (Electronic Logbook).
- Project proposel (20%)
- Literature review (30%)
- Project (50%)